The Delegation of the European Union to India actively participated in the 3rd Global Renewable Energy Investment Meeting and Expo (RE-Invest 2020), with a dedicated EU session and an EU Zone. The EU Zone included virtual booths from the European Union, Indo-German Energy Forum (IGEF), Agence Française de Développement (AFD), SolarPower Europe, WindEurope and AVERE (The European Association for Electromobility). On 27th November 2020, the EU session was organised, titled ‘EU-India Cooperation of Renewable Energy with a focus on Off-shore Wind’
The virtual session provided a platform to discuss the cooperation between the EU and India in the area of renewable energy, in particular the offshore wind sector. The new EU Strategy on Offshore Renewable Energy was presented and the future of Indian Offshore wind industry was discussed, focusing on the required supply chain. The session aimed at identifying the current gaps in a potential off-shore supply chain in India and assessing how Indian and European businesses can best tap into this promising renewable energy market.
A report on “Supply Chain Study for Off-shore Wind in India” drafted under the ‘Business Support to the EU-India Policy Dialogues’ project was also released during the session. The report identifies the challenges and opportunities to India’s off-shore wind industry, and highlights the developments that are needed in order to achieve the desired cost reduction and scalability in the off-shore wind industry.
The session was supported by the EU-India Clean Energy and Climate Partnership (CECP) project and was attended by various participants, representing policymakers, regulators, project developers, manufacturers, port operators, system integrators, EPCs, think thanks, consultants and academia from across the globe.
- H.E. Ugo Astuto, Ambassador of the European Union to India
- Mr. Hans van Steen, Acting Director, Renewables, Research, Innovation and Energy Efficiency, Directorate-General Energy, European Commission
- Mr. Bhanu Pratap Yadav, Joint Secretary, Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE)
- Mr. Erik Mohr, Project Director, Wind Energy and Renewables, COWI
- Mr. Nicolas Couderc, Chairman, WindEurope and Executive Vice-President, EDF Renewables
- Dr. K. Balaraman, Director General, National Institute of Wind Energy (NIWE)
- Dr. Jochen Dirksmeyer, Head Development, wpd offshore solutions GmbH
- Dr. Praveen Saxena, CEO, Skill Council for Green Jobs
- Mr. Vijaymurthy Tanikella, Advisor, Van Oord Offshore Wind b.v. and Director, Van Oord India Pvt. Ltd
- Mr. Ashwani Kumar, CEO, Suzlon
- Mr. Jakob Friis Sorensen, Managing Director, APM Terminals Pipavav (Gujarat Pipavav Port Ltd)
- Mr. Javier Magro, Business Unit Manager, DEME Offshore
- Mr. Poul V. Jensen, Managing Director, European Business and Technology Centre
- Mr. Matthieu Craye, International Relations Officer, European Commission